The Map Project

15781415_10202645049803675_3202555702224756992_n

My contribution to the ‘Map Project’, is a concertina Artist Book created with 3 layers. The first two incorporate the map, the third has been mono printed and includes cut outs and collage pieces of map.

map-project-16

map-book-24

The book cloth covers are a similar colour to the original map, with de bossed and inked text. When the book is folded it can be stored in its protective slip case.

I love maps, so I have just ordered some more old maps to create different artist books.

Advertisements

An Artists’ Alphabet

Twenty-six artists, twenty-six letters, twenty-six unique and varied responses including paintings, prints, sculptures, photography and installation art.

Having Been Selected as one of the 26 artists for the  Exhibition, I was awarded the letter ‘G’.

artist-alphabet

As storm Desmond battered the UK, I managed to feed the project into my current ‘Shipping Forecast’ project. Once I had the idea in my head I sketched a plan of the print and sorted the colours. I could have got away with just doing one copy, but I decided to take this opportunity to make several prints to use in my Artist Books. This would mean back to back printing, with 8 hand drawn A1 sheets of Seri trace (plus two small one for the lighthouses). All in all there were 40 prints completed in two different colour editions. I have spent much of my 2016 creative time  on this project, most of it on doing the different bindings to make 37 books.

The printing had to wait until as I needed access to the screen print table during the students Easter holidays.

I learn something new every time I print, but never seem to take any notice of these lessons learnt… like, don’t do large prints, your not tall enough, you can’t reach. As she pulls a wooden box over to the print table to stand on!

I had a little ‘printing helper’. There is something wrong with this photo though…… I am washing the screen and she is taking the photo. shouldn’t that be the other way round, Amy.printing-19

I did do a few of the prints at home on my ‘not very sophisticated print table. Screen printing on a carpet is not advisable!

printing-18

RSPB Saltholme

 

I have been doing an art project with Aim4Art at the RSPB Saltholme, Middlesbrough. Not being a natural bird lover, my original idea was to go for the industrial horizon line that surrounds the nature reserve. On my first visit I did some sketches and took loads of photos that inspired me to try something different.

If your going to paint a new subject, why not use a new medium!…… so watercolour it is. It’s been a struggle, but I have enjoyed it. Thanks to Lynn Herkman for her advice and encouragement.

 

 

 

The pencil drawing is work in progress, It could take some time to finish. But I did also manage to do two horizon line pieces. One looking over Seal Sands 150x26cm and the other over Middlesbrough 170x26cm. This was much more like my usual thing. The sky for seal sands was a pure experiment that went a bit haywire, but I persevered, and I think I like it because it’s different.

saltholme-transporter-pan-finished-piece

saltholme-seal-sands-finished-piece

Detail:

 

Barmoor 2016

In May of this year I stayed at a quaker house called ‘Barmoor’ for 5 days, an art retreat with Aim4Art http://aim4art.org.uk. The house is situated on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors near Hutton Le Hole and has very basic facilities, but none the less it was a very pleasant stay with great company.

During my time there I did a few drawings and made some prints from the foliage in the garden. I have been toying with what to do with these prints ever since. My original idea just didn’t seem exciting enough.  But after much deliberation, I have come up with a squash book. I may still develop this further by using the reverse of the book for my remaining prints/rubbings/drawings and maps. But at the moment I am just relieved to have finally acted and made progress with this project.

 

2D-3D Experimental Book Art Structure

I recently attended a five-day experimental, sculptural artist’s book masterclass led by multidisciplinary artist Guy Begbie. It’s the third time I have attended UWE summer schools with Guy, each one learning new skills and thinking. This year we were looking at constructing books from printed material and making them into 3D structural forms contained within their bindings.

This Involved making additive monotypes using hand cut, low tech, type forms. These prints formed the matrix to produce freestanding books and pamphlets with structural context and creative narrative.

The aim was to create books that open up from the containment of their bindings into a freestanding structure. I don’t think I quite achieved this target, although it has changed my thinking on creating an artist book. Here’s what I managed to make:

Book One

Book Two

Book Three